The New Arrival

She's here!!! She's healthy and cute! Weighing in at 3.2 kg or 7 lbs. 2 oz. and measuring 49 cm or 19 inches, Miss Pia Sand came into the world on September 18, 2013 at 02:49 after about 15 hours of labor followed by a C-Section.




It is such a relief to no longer be pregnant and finally have Pia in our life! :-) And life with a newborn isn't as crazy as I thought it would be, but regardless, we're still pretty busy with her. We're trying very hard to adjust her to a schedule. So far her scheduling is very loose as we're still getting to know and understand this little person. 

I haven't written much about this, but being pregnant in Norway has been an interesting experience at least. Most particularly when it comes to health care. The first time my husband joined me for an appointment, I nudged him as we were leaving the doctor's office to tell him I felt like I was stealing - because being pregnant in Norway I didn't have to pay anything for health care with just the exception of paying to have my insulin prescriptions filled as I had gestational diabetes. 

Some things I think are clear differences in Norwegian pre/post natal health are:
- Norway is definitely a breastfeeding nation.
- Midwives take a large role in prenatal care and labor.

My stay in the hospital was certainly an experience I'll never forget. I really have no complaints over the care or treatment in the hospital. I don't think I've ever felt so jealous in all my life when the midwives would take on the role of taking care of Pia. I refused to let them take her out of the room unless she needed some type of medical treatment.  

Anyways, the most important thing is Pia is here! 


Comments

Nina said…
Hi there! Congrats on your baby Pia! She is really cute:)

I started to read your blog a week ago, because I want to know as much as possible about living in Norway. We are moving to Trondheim in January from Slovenia, with two little kids.

And I do like your blog:)

Bye for now,

Nina
Unknown said…
Such an adorable family!!! I am from the USA (Maryland) and am looking to move to Norway for a year. Love your blog!

JisforJord.blogspot.com
H. Bratset said…
Congratulations!!! She is beautiful. I love hearing your take on the healthcare experience. I know you are much more busy now with a newborn, but would love to see a blog post with lots of detail over your maternity care, delivery and hospital stay. Super interesting to hear how they do it over there.
Evelyn Sand said…
Yes, I have started writing a post on being pregnant in Norway and telling about my experience with it. I hope to have it finished sometime this decade! LOL :-) I have NO complaints whatsoever about the health system here and the thing is - the quality of healthcare is the same, it's just a heck of a lot cheaper here.
Vic E said…
Ah! Gratulerer med gutten! I am so glad to have finally found your blog again! I found it around a year ago, but then lost the link and could not remember how I found it before.

Another American here (Alaskan) just nice to see others in Norway having similar experiences to mine. I work with a number of Americans though, and it is not uncommon to come across them occasionally in the street or whatever occasionally around here on the west coast. (Stavanger area) From reading some of your posts it seems you are a little more isolated from other American expats. I don't think I could handle that. :)
Mandy Indonesia said…


Im glad to read you again. Thanks for this post. Best for you Buddy!

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations